Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Milepost 5192: In Search of Ghosts

This is about where we made the U-turn in the motorhome... I wanted a photo just in case I didn't make it.... Yes, it's a sheer drop on the right....

     Our day started with a search for a ghost town I found on a tourist map. Despite the risk that it really could be a tourist TRAP, we went anyway.
     The road gradually got worse and very deserted, two very good signs! But, when the road narrowed to nearly one lane and began to twist and turn up a mountain side, John decided to turn around. Nearly impossible in a wide motorhome, and very scary!
     We followed that adventure with a much more sane trip to Pecos National Historical Park. Very interesting! Anne and camera took the self-guided walking tour and John checked out the museum, then rested from his previous ordeal in the motorhome.
     We are spending the night in Moriarty, New Mexico.

We had a real appreciation for New Mexico highways now. This is the I-40...

Yes, they're even using "authentic" handmade mud bricks...
Rebuilding the church on the Pueblo
This is what they've rebuilt so far. They have a long way to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment